Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The Lord has promised good to me

This morning, as I lay barely awake, my feet not yet on the  ground, my mind was taken to the images of balconies in Italy where neighbors stood singing to, and with, each other.  There was a joy in their song, and also a release of tension that had accumulated during their lock-down.  

Then my mind began to wonder about what song I might sing.  As I flipped through a catalog of options, no not that one, not that one either - I found myself singing.

Very quietly in my mind, so as not to wake Diane, I sang Amazing Grace.  From the opening lines “Amazing grace! how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me” all the way through to the end “When we’ve been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun, we’ve no less days to sing God’s praise than when we first begun.”

All five verses flowed in my mind; I did not sing any better than normal, but I certainly sang with joy.  And I began to wonder what the reaction would be in my neighborhood if I stood on our front stoop and began to sing?  What would the reaction be if I stood on our back deck and began to sing?  Would the neighborhood join in as they did in Italy?

Sadly, I doubt that would be the case.  There was no big snow storm this year and sometimes  the only time I see my neighbors is when we all go out to shovel our sidewalks.  It is not that this is not a friendly street, everyone waves and smiles as they drive past.  When we moved into our home we met everyone along the street.  And then as the novelty of new neighbors wore off everyone retreated to their homes and their lives.  

I woke up with a song on my heart, as the water was boiling for Diane’s coffee I said morning prayer in the kitchen, and I felt a little sad.  I was feeling close to God, and wanted to sing but worried that my neighbors would not sing along.  

This time of wandering in the wilderness is shared, albeit at a distance, with our St. John’s neighbors.  And if we sing, I believe that they will join in.  This is not a time to be apart, this is a time to come together.  Singing makes the miles pass by quickly, and we have a wonderful song to share.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,
I have already come:
’tis grace that brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead me home.

God be with you until we meet again

Fr. Henry+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment