Monday, January 25, 2010

Simple Pleasures

Today is my first day back in class since December 22nd. The time off flew by quickly, but that is another story. And yes, being in class with the other students is a pleasure. However, today was also the first day of the seminary library book sale. Its a secret, but students were offered a preview of the sale before the public was allowed in. Yes it was a room full of simple pleasures. When a dollar will not typically buy a cup of coffee it is amazing that it will buy you a book.

So lets see some of the simple pleasures a dollar afforded me today. For my historical reference there is a copy of the 1940 Hymnal and the 1916 Hymnal. My theological library had a gaping hole filled in with the purchase of a King James Bible. This copy is from the 80's; something that is verified by the dates written in the margins by the previous owner indicating when they read a particular passage.

My new old copy of Lesser Feasts and Fasts opened to reveal the prayers for the prophet Martin Luther King Jr. A week after his birthday celebration they prayers still sound sweet.

There were two books examining The Book of Common Prayer and two books on the Eucharist and Sacraments.

Never knowing when one might need a prayer or collect there are two books full of wisdom. The Book of English Collects encompasses prayers from England, Scotland, Ireland, South Africa and the United States. Then there is The Collects of Thomas Cranmer. Written in the 1500's these are timeless and are the foundation of the prayers of the Anglican Church.

Perhaps the prize find of the lot is also the thinnest paperback among a stack of voluminous hardcover books. Walk with Jesus: Stations of the Cross by Henri Nouwen. With Lent approaching this book will lead me along a powerful journey that is the Stations of the Cross. Henri Nouwen has been a favorite since I was first introduced to his writing and I am looking forward to this journey with him.

This stack of books was purchased for less than a trip for two to Starbucks. It has brought me pleasure to find them and will bring me further pleasure to explore and get lost in them. As I pulled book after book from my messenger bag my wife smiled, she was especially proud to learn how little I paid for the stacks. I also found two CDs by Grover Washington Jr. and Wynton Marsalis. These provided musical inspiration for a quick dance lesson across the kitchen floor for our 13 year old son.

Interesting how our perspective changes. In my past life this would not have measured as a great pleasure. Simple pleasures cost a great deal more then. But tonight as we said a blessing before dinner my wife interjected at the end “and thank you for the wonderful stack of books.”

Peace be with you,

No comments:

Post a Comment