Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tales from Canterbury - part VIII


Contemporary tradition; I am not sure if that is the best term but it came to mind and will have to work for now. Here I am resident in a community with a history dating to 597. This space and this faith are deeply rooted in tradition. That is a factor that makes the Anglican Church attractive to many people. The deep full history enriches the worship experience and provides a foundation for the spread of the faith to others.


Yet here we are in the year 2011. A period where many would suggest that traditions from a thousand years ago, or even a hundred years ago are out of touch with the realities of today. I find that nothing could be further from the truth.


Evensong tonight followed the usual pattern, one that has existed for centuries with little change. Every movement, song, and Scripture reading would be recognizable to someone from the eighteenth or nineteenth centuries. As is tradition, following the choir anthem, we pray for the Anglican Communion near and far, and for those in need. It was at that moment that a tradition that is alive in a contemporary context became apparent to me.


The first of the intercessions offered this evening was to pray for those suffering the darkness of depression. I was transformed from being attentive to being hyper-attentive. Two years and one month ago my sister ended her twenty five year battle with depression. I have forever been changed by that experience. Depression is a disease that is hidden and people are loath to discuss, like the disease itself depression hides in the darkness. This centuries old cathedral now resounded with prayers for this contemporary illness.


Lord Jesus Christ, who for love of our souls entered the deep darkness of the cross: we pray that your healing love may surround all who are in the darkness of great mental distress and who find it difficult to pray for themselves. May they know that darkness and light are both alike to you and that you have promised never to fail them or forsake them.


The disbelief of that morning two years ago as I learned of my sister’s death still resonates strongly with me. Feeling a total loss for direction that morning I remembered the words of a priest who has walked with me in my formation. She had shared with me advice that she had received at her own ordination; that advice was to make the Daily Office (Morning and Evening Prayer) your own, because there would be days that the Daily Office was the only thing you could hold on to. With the news of my sister’s death I had entered one of those days. For the next several weeks it was Morning Prayer, a tradition dating back more than 1,000 years, that allowed me to move forward each day.


Today hearing a prayer in a traditional service of Evensong for those suffering the darkness of depression, a very contemporary issue, made me realize that beneath the deep emotion and tears that I was experiencing I was supported by the love of Christ and the Anglican faith. A faith that is alive with contemporary tradition.



My prayer from Canterbury is that your days be filled with light,

for my brothers and sisters who are in darkness may you be reborn in the light.

1 comment:

  1. A powerful experience and even more powerful witness to share with others. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete